We get asked all the time: What should we eat while pregnant. Well, here is our list of the top 10 superfoods to eat while pregnant. Hint: They are amazing for you when breastfeeding too…. and just for everyday health and wellness!
After our list, keep reading for some recipes to sneak them in!
EWC’s Top Ten Pregnancy Superfoods: (Goal: one or more per day!)
- Lentils – protein, iron, folate, fiber and calcium
- Spinach – folic acid, iron, calcium, fiber, potassium and vitamins C, K, and A
- Wild salmon – omega 3s, DHA, protein
- Grass fed beef – iron, choline, protein, B vitamins
- Oatmeal – fiber, protein and vitamin B6
- Eggs- protein, folate, iron, choline, antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin
- Avocado – fiber, healthy fats, potassium, vitamin E, vitamin K, B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E and folate
- Sweet Potatoes – fiber, vitamin B6, potassium (even more than bananas have!), vitamin C and iron, as well as copper and beta-carotene
- Full Fat, Grass Fed Dairy (cheese, yogurt, milk) – healthy fats, protein, calcium, B vitamins, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus
- Nuts and Seeds (almonds, cashews, chia, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower, flax, etc.) – protein, fiber, magnesium, healthy fats, minerals
Simple and Easy Recipes:
Put all in a blender:
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1.5 cup fresh kale or spinach or other leafy green
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts, almonds, walnuts or pumpkin seeds
- 1 large garlic clove
- ¼ cup olive oil + more if needed for consistency
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (about half a lemon, squeezed)
- Salt + pepper to taste
1 cup rolled oats
1.5 cups almond or coconut milk
¼ cup chia seeds
2 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 large banana, mashed
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp maple syrup
Optional: 1 scoop protein powder, grated or chopped apples… get creative!
Mix all ingredients into a bowl, cover and refrigerate. Stir or shake once or twice. Keep in fridge overnight. In the AM layer oats with berries, seeds, chopped apples, nuts, granola, etc.
- 2 cups nut milk
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- optional: 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2-3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground sea salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- optional: dash of nutmeg
Combine ingredients in a large bowl or jar. Shake or whisk well and let rest for 5 mins. Whisk again and pour into 4 mason jars. Cover and refrigerate overnight for for several hours until pudding is formed!